FAQ | Regional HIV/AIDS Connection

You are here


Living with HIV/AIDS FAQ

Feel free to ask our Client Services team any questions you may have.

You can email, call or come into the agency to speak with one of our Case Managers. We can also make arrangements to come see you if you are unable to come to the agency.

All our services are free and confidential.

Below is a list of some questions we hear most often. Each question can be answered differently depending upon individual circumstances, so contact us to ask your own questions.

My Long Term Disability pension won’t cover my medications anymore. What can I do?

We can help you stay on your medications while connecting you to other services that will assist with the cost of your medications.

My medication isn’t covered by Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP). What now?

We have a financial program called the Wellness Assistance Fund. It is possible for us to help you with the cost of medications.

Can I get services if I'm living in Canada, but don’t have papers/immigration status?

Yes, you can. Please contact us. We can help connected you to any of our services, as well as other community services.

I quit my job when I found out I was HIV+ but I’m healthy and want to go back to work. Where should I go?

We can help you get connected to existing community services who can help you prepare to return to work.

I just moved here from the United States. I don’t have a health card, but I should be taking medication. What should I do?

Please contact us. We can help make sure there is no gap in your medication regimen, or help you get back on medication if you’ve had to stop taking them.

I don’t have enough money to pay my Trillium deductible. Can anyone help?

We have a financial program called the Wellness Assistance Fund. It is possible for us to help you with the cost of medications.

I just moved here from another city. I don’t have an HIV specialist. Can you help me?

Yes. We can help you gather the necessary information to get you referred to an HIV doctor.

I’ve met someone who I really like. I’m nervous about disclosing my HIV+ status. When should I tell them?

Disclosing your HIV+ status can be a scary thing. You can talk to us about your personal circumstances and we can help you decide when the time is right for you.

I think my kids are old enough to know I’m HIV+. How do I tell them?

How, when and where you tell your kids is completely up to you. We can answer any questions you may have. Over the years we have successfully supported a number of people through this challenging time.

I wasn’t able to pay my rent and my landlord is threatening to evict me from my apartment. What should I do?

Depending on the circumstances we may be able to help you stop the eviction process. We can work with you to find a solution.

I told my boss I’m HIV+ and now he’s treating me differently. Can I do anything about this?

Yes. Please talk to us. We can provide you information and referrals so you can determine if your human rights and your rights as an employee have been violated.

For additional information about HIV/AIDS in both English and French, please visit the website of Canadian AIDS Treatment Information Exchange (CATIE) - Canada's source for HIV and hepatitis C information.